Linode + DEV Hackathon
Announcing the Linode + DEV Hackathon 🎉
You may be familiar with our hackathons here on DEV. If you are, then you know that this community has a ton of fun with them and they get really creative with their inventions. Whether you’ve joined us in the past or not, we hope you’ll throw your hat into the ring by participating in the Linode + DEV Hackathon
Keep reading to get all the details on how you can enter this contest and learn more about Linode and the prizes they’re offering our community.
All About Linode
Akamai Cloud Computing based on Linode provides a number of services and products that give both developers and enterprises the flexibility and support they need to build, deploy, and scale their modern applications. Linode’s global data centers make it a great cloud hosting choice for users who want to run their own virtual web server hands-on. Linode started as a company built by developers for developers. Today, it continues to serve these new innovators as well as the growing teams, startups, and larger enterprises it helped create.
From now through February 20th, DEV has partnered up with Linode for a community hackathon that will give you the chance to build a new application using Linode. Anyone who submits a valid project (including an official submission post, published on DEV) will be automatically entered to win a variety of fantastic prizes (including up to $1,000 USD).
The Linode + DEV Hackathon is calling for projects in the following five categories:
- Smooth Shifters: Awarded to the team whose app shows the most seamless and successful migration to Linode’s platform.
- EdgeWorker Experts: Awarded to the team that demonstrates the most innovative and effective use of Linode’s EdgeWorkers service.
- SaaS Superstars: Awarded to the team whose app shows the greatest potential for success as a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) product or money-making venture.
- Integration Innovators: Awarded to the team whose app shows the best integration with other services offered by Linode, such as managed databases or object storage.
- Wacky Wildcard: Awarded to the team whose project is particularly creative, unusual, or outside-the-box. With this category, we are looking for some truly silly and/or fun submissions. Feel free to dream big and ridiculously — and utilize any offering that Linode offers.
💰 Prizes 💰
Five Grand Prize Winners (one per category):
- $1,000 USD gift card or equivalent
- $300 USD credit to the Forem Shop
- DEV Sticker Pack
- DEV “Linode Hackathon” Grand Prize profile badge
Runner-Up Prizes (10 Total – across all categories):
- $250 USD gift card or equivalent
- $150 USD credit to the Forem Shop
- DEV Sticker Pack
- DEV “Linode Hackathon” Runner-Up profile badge
Participants (with a valid project):
- DEV Sticker Pack
- DEV “Linode Hackathon” participant profile badge
Cost of shipping included. If shipping outside of the U.S., international customs and duties may apply. Please research your local import laws for more information on customs fees or reach out to [email protected] with any questions.
How to Participate in the Linode + DEV Hackathon
- Create a Linode account using this registration page to receive $100 in credit.
- Create an app using Linode that falls into one of the categories listed on this announcement post.
- Code must be made publicly available on GitHub.
- Code must be licensed with a permissive license (MIT, Apache-2, etc).
- Publish overview of the app on DEV between January 24th and February 20th using this submission template.
- Provide the app’s demo URL, relevant screenshots, description, etc.
⚠️ Heads-up that you’ll only be able to view our submission template linked above if you’re logged into DEV.
The Akamai team has an extensive library of technical docs, guides, blogs, and other resources available on their website. You can check out their content series for inspiration on apps to design, or visit the Linode YouTube channel for some hands-on tutorials.